Whether you experience a few little butterflies before a dentist appointment or suffer from a dental phobia, you are not alone. The British Dental Association discovered that one in four of us suffer from some form of anxiety before a dentist appointment.
At Haslemere Dental & Implant Clinic we understand our patients’ fears and are sensitive to your unique needs. We have taken every measure to make you feel calm and at ease from the minute you step through the door. Your health is important to us and so is your experience.
It’s not what it used to be
Often patients have put off visiting their dentist, even for just a routine check up, because of recollections of painful childhood visits. The sounds and smells at a dentist may trigger uncomfortable memories, but rest assured, dental practices have come a long way, even just over the last few years.
So, what’s new?
We know that environment and attitude make a huge difference to how you feel. Our Haslemere dental practice is a calm and restful place. A tranquil space and a warm friendly greeting from our practice receptionist when you first arrive will help you feel more at ease, and we ensure that all of our patient chairs are comfortable. You even have the option to listen to relaxing music of your choice.
The tools and techniques used by our dentists are to the highest specifications, and carefully chosen to ensure the best results and least stressful experience for you, even down to the latest in air-polishing technology. At Haslemere Dental & Implant Clinic we use a Prophy-Jet that, unlike conventional rotating polishers is much quieter, with no vibrations. The technology uses water and pressure to gently remove plaque. The addition of baking soda polishes your teeth to pearly white, while still remaining a kind treatment for sensitive teeth.
How we help relieve anxieties and phobias
They say a problem shared is a problem halved. How often have you found the weight of worry lift as soon as you talk through your concerns with someone else? We encourage an open and understanding relationship between patient and dentist. You are free to ask us anything. Your practitioner can take you through your procedures step-by-step, and provide guidance and support for any decisions you need to make along the way.
Techniques that will help your visit
When you have made the decision to book your appointment to see your local Haslemere dentist, you can put a few things in place to minimise nerves on the day.
- We can help you find a time in the morning for your appointment. Our staff know that you may prefer to have an earlier slot, so that you don’t have to worry about it all day.
- Talk to friends and family. They can often allay any fears with their own experiences. You’re also more than welcome to bring someone along to your appointment, to support you on the day.
- Talk to your dentist. Have a chat with your dental practitioner. They want to know about you, about your teeth and about any concerns that you may have. Ultimately, the more they know the more they can help.
- Try beginning with a short and simple procedure, such as a scale and polish. Even if you require further work, a straightforward session to clean your teeth will familiarise you with your environment, your dentist and the general processes that occur in a dental practice.
- Agree on a signal with your dentist before they start. It will make you feel more in control if you know you can easily and quickly communicate to them when you need a break.
- Make the space yours. Take the time to get comfortable, and if it will help to listen to music we can supply a range of relaxing scores, or you are welcome to bring your own.
Contact Haslemere Dental & Implant Clinic in Haslemere if you would like to speak to an experienced practitioner about your dental fears or any other concerns.